Sunday 10 April 2016

STEREOTYPING

Stereotyping is to believe unfairly that all people or things with a particular characteristic are the same. Usually, it is also something that most people find difficult to avoid from doing. Yes, I myself also cannot avoid from being stereotypes because sometimes I like to make some predictions about people without asking them clearly. For example, if we were especially aware of gender, I might be alert to the differences between the way men and women behavior and attitude or the way they are treated. Yes exactly I can make difference between them because I think it is obviously for me that I can see. Other than that, if ethnicity was an important issue for me, I would probably tune in to the differences between members of various ethnic groups. I think there is nothing wrong to do that as long as we are accurate.

Back to the question above, that stereotyping is something that most people find difficult to avoid from doing. I think we can avoid from this happen based on 3 characteristics of stereotypes. Firstly, you categorize people on the basis of easily recognized characteristics. I make it clearly, for example, if you see someone who appears to be in her size of body, weight and height you might quickly categorize him as elderly. Secondly, you ascribe a set of characteristics to most or all members of a category. For example, we obviously can know elderly people, and then you conclude that older people have trouble hearing and not really alert about something. I agree with that because it happens around me such as my grandmother. Sometimes she cannot see clearly when reading books or recite al Quran. It is the same thing when we want to talk with older people, we should not talk about sensitive issue that might can hurt them because older people easily to get hurt when talk. Lastly, you apply the set of characteristics to any member of the group. When you talk to an older people, you might talk very loudly and slowly. It is not because of we do not respect them. Of course it seems extremely annoying to the older people who do not fix your stereotype.

Based on the three characteristics of stereotypes above, I believe some people might have difficulties to avoid from stereotyping people even though it is a common stereotype. Stereotypes in communication can harm the relationship between them. For example, the communication between a doctor and a patient. The doctor might not provide information to his patient because he thinks the patient would not understand, and the patient might not ask some important questions because he thinks the doctor do not have time for him and he know the job as doctor is. These kinds of expectation from the patient and doctor can lead to poorer health care. For me, stereotyping does not always arise from bad intentions. If you have a communication with someone you know, there may be no difficulties. If it is vice versa, you may carefully talk to them because sometimes our mind leads to imagine something interesting about them.

In a nutshell, from this information above I believe people can avoid themselves from being stereotypes person. It might be slowly change to them because we need time to change our perception about people. Giving a chance to treat people is good rather than you assuming people easily. In other words, do not judge a book by its cover.



No comments:

Post a Comment